Saturday, May 17, 2014

It's time for Walden again...

Ah yes, it's May, the time for my annual weeklong sabbatical. I look forward to this week each year when I get away for a solo trip to the farm. The purpose is to unwind and decompress, but also to write. My current project, as yet unnamed, I have code-named the BVP project. BVP simply stands for Buffalo Valley project. For the past year I have found it very difficult to find enough time to write. It has been sporadic and infrequent. I have about 60k words so it's getting toward completion but there is still a lot of work to be done. I think this is going to be a very good novel so I'm not about to abandon it. I have put a lot of work into this project. I have no plans to ever write a book like this again, but I think this one is going to turn out nicely. And my week at the farm is going to be my opportunity to get some work done on it. It's the perfect environment, I can see Mr. Thoreau's train of thinking now. If you want to get some serious writing done, get rid of people. All of them. Go and live off the land, deliberately. Oh I'm going to do some physical work too. I'll be doing some mowing, the place is growing over with grass, weeds and briars. I'll cut some firewood and stack it up, you can never have too much firewood. One of my favorite things to do to pass a little time in this world is to build a nice fire at the farm, sit back in a nice comfy chair and enjoy a glass or two of whiskey on the rocks. Yes. That's how to get your head right. Meditation and yoga can't touch the firewater for relaxation. And it just so happens that the moon is near full now. Have you ever experienced a full moon while you were alone in the woods at night with the sound of howling coyotes in the distance? I've even heard a cougar a few time out there. Now that's a real attention getter. Before we went and put up that stupid area light you could enjoy the magnificent storybook sight of fireflies by the hundreds twinkling in the darkness. There are few modern conveniences out there, like no running water, though there is an old abandoned farmhouse I have cleaned up and use to sleep in. It's actually pretty nice except for the occasional mouse running across the floor, a spider here and there and yes, I did encounter a snake in there once. It was just a little rat snake, harmless little fellow.
It's all those things that make it special. Buddy and I, my boxer, roam the place exploring. There's a lot of history there, hence the inspiration for the book project in progress. It's a fascinating place that I  thoroughly enjoy, especially for that special week each May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Does it end? For now, it doesn't...

An incident that happened some time back when a high school basketball player sucker punched a player from the opposing team causing serious...