Back to writing again...

 Six months ago I retired from my job of 48 years. Let me tell you, that's a long time. I never thought that I would work that long and to be honest, I have no regrets. Had I retired sooner, I think the transition would have been more difficult. Even at 70 it's not an easy transition. The first few months are great, you feel free and unburdened. Then it starts to sink in what life is going to be like for the rest of your life. Everyone is different, granted, but I believe most are probably like me. If you have been really busy for the last 50 years or so, your need to stay busy doesn't go away. You're still going to need to be involved and engaged. The only difference is what you are involved and engaged with changes. You have to decide what that is... In essence, you have to create a new life for yourself. And then live it.

About 14 years ago I had a great life experience. It inspired me to do something that a lot of people say they're going to do but never do it. I wrote a book and published it. It hasn't made enough money to change my lifestyle, but who knows, maybe someday it will. I think it's a really good book and I've had a lot of people tell me so. I've also been told that it would make a fantastic movie. Writing it was a wonderful experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm proud of the accomplishment. So much so that I started another book. The second book has turned out to be a journey that I never expected. I like action thrillers, I read a lot of them. Not exactly murder mysteries or spy novels, but thrillers that involve ordinary people that get into extraordinary situations. I would call my current project a historical thriller. You know, James Michener kind of stuff. Understand, I'm not in James Michener's league, never will be. But I chose this type of story because my wife is an American Indian. Choctaw tribe. As I learned about her ancestors I became fascinated with their history. And some very famous, and infamous people that crossed paths with the Choctaws. I've been working off an on for about 12 years on this book and I'm happy (and relieved...) to say it's about to wrap up. It's historically accurate but the characters and some events are of course, fictional. The research to achieve the historically accurate part was extensive and I'll admit, that's not my favorite way to while away hours. Many of the fictional characters are based on real people and I've asked each of those people for their permission. I haven't denigrated anyone, my goal was to honor them. But here's the catch, I'm working on developing the denouement, that is, the ending. The final twist in the plot. We've all read some books that were really good, maybe even great, but then you get to the ending it's disappointing. Lacking, leaves you hanging. And then there's those books that as you near the end you cant stop. You cant put it down. And when you read the last word all you can think is wow! Holy cow, didn't see that coming. Trust me, as a writer that's the toughest part of the job. Readers will remember you because you delivered.  

With no job to go to anymore this is my job now. It doesn't pay much and there are no benefits, but I can show up when I feel like it and not show up when I dont. (And no one cares...) But most of all, it's fun. I can't say just when it's going to hit the electronic shelves of Amazon, all I can say is I hope soon. Very soon. I'll post when it does, and when it does do me a favor and grab a copy and have a read. I promise you won't be disappointed and you'll have as much fun reading it as I did writing it. 

Comments

Popular Posts